Transforming communities around the world
W e work with nonprofit and policy organizations, global health and development institutions, academic researchers and professors, educators and school districts, and more. We work on projects in health, science, medicine, global development, arts, education, environment, and urban planning. We also edit application materials for funding proposals and career development.
We are grateful to our clients for their work toward building a better world for everyone.
Nonprofit Work and Public Policy
We work with nonprofit staff to help ensure they communicate their messages clearly to their audiences—policy makers, funding agencies, partners, volunteers, students, beneficiaries, or community members. We specialize in working with organizations that are solving critical problems related to education, health, poverty, and development. We edit research reports, journal manuscripts, books, training manuals, guidelines, press releases, fact sheets, cost studies, donor reports, annual reports, web content, and more.
See a list of recent nonprofit and policy clients:
- Bonneville Environmental Foundation
- Center on Reinventing Public Education
- Electronic Hallway, Evans School of Public Policy and Governance
- Farmers Market Access Project
- Healthy Food America
- Human Services Policy Center
- Journal of Policy Analysis and Management
- Journal of Public Affairs Education
- MGS Consulting
- Neighborhood House
- Northwest Area Foundation, Strategies to Eliminate Poverty (STEP)
- United Nations, International Labour Organization
Health, Education, and Social Science Research
We offer in-depth editing services to individual academic researchers, including students, professors, and scholars who learned English as a foreign language. Although self-editing and peer editing are critical to the writing process, many academics also rely on professional editors to improve their work and its chances of being accepted for publication in international English-language journals. We edit journal articles, research studies, technical papers, correspondence, conference posters, presentations, and research funding proposals.
See a list of recent academic research clients:
- National Taiwan University, School of Public Health and Institute of Health Policy and Management
- University of Washington, Community Campus Partnerships for Health
- University of Washington, Departments of Education and Special Education
- University of Washington, School of Nursing
- When Ivory Towers Were Black: A Story about Race in America’s Cities and Universities, by Sharon Egretta Sutton
- Individual students and professors who have gone on to publish in the following journals:
- Biological Research for Nursing
- BMC Geriatrics
- BMC Public Health
- Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing
- Global Health Action
- Interdisciplinary Studies of Music
- Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine
- Journal of Cancer Education
- Journal of Interprofessional Care
- Journal of Nursing Research
- Journal of Pain and Symptom Management
- Journal of Social Work in End-of-Life and Palliative Care
- Journal of Transcultural Nursing
- Music Educators Journal
- Pain Medicine
- Psycho-Oncology: Journal of the Psychological, Social and Behavioral Dimensions of Cancer
Global Health and Development
We specialize in working with organizations that are solving critical problems related to education, health, poverty, and development. We work with staff of government agencies, global NGOs, US-based nonprofits, and academic journals to help ensure they communicate their messages clearly to a global audience. We edit research reports, journal manuscripts, books, training manuals, guidelines, press releases, fact sheets, cost studies, donor reports, annual reports, web content, and more.
See a list of recent global health and development clients:
- Adara Development (USA)
- Catholic Relief Services
- Clinton Health Access Initiative
- East African Health Research Journal
- FHI 360
- Gates Ventures LLC
- Global Alliance to Prevent Prematurity and Stillbirth
- Global Health: Science and Practice journal
- International Training and Education Center for Health
- John Snow, Inc.
- Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Programs
- King County Accountable Community of Health (Healthier Here)
- Public Health—Seattle and King County
- Smart Power India
- World Health Organization
Classroom Curricula and Facilitation and Training Materials
We have a long history of working with organizations that are directly involved in educating children and adults. We work with nonprofit staff, schools and school districts, and government agencies to ensure that training materials are clear and easy to use. We edit curricula, learning standards, education policy proposals, workshop facilitator handbooks, grant proposals, website content, and more.
See a list of recent education clients:
- ArtsEd Washington
- Asia Society
- Children’s Home Society of Washington
- Committee for Children
- Hope Lutheran School
- Seattle Public Schools, Housing-Education Alignment Plan
- Seattle Public Schools, Seattle K–12 Arts Learning Collaborative and The Creative Advantage
- University of Washington, Jackson School of International Studies/East Asia Center
- Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, K–12 Learning Standards for Health and Physical Education and Financial Education
- The No-Fault Classroom: Tools to Resolve Conflict and Foster Relationship Intelligence, by Sura Hart and Victoria Kindle-Hodson
- Respectful Parents, Respectful Kids: 7 Keys to Turn Family Conflict into Cooperation, by Sura Hart and Victoria Kindle-Hodson
Funding Proposals and Applications for Career Growth
Our funding and career support services focus on getting students and professionals admitted, hired, and funded. We edit CVs, resumes, cover letters, fellowship and scholarship applications, and research funding proposals. We’d love to get to know you, help you convey skills and accomplishments effectively, and help you get your application out the door on time.
We also provide editing services to publishers of books that serve as resources for nonprofit staff and consultants.
See a list of recent clients:
- We edit proposals to the National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation, and other funding agencies
- We help academic researchers as they make the transition from junior faculty to senior faculty
- We edit resumes, cover letters, and fellowship and research proposals (please email us to connect with a past Tandem Editing client who is willing to talk about their work with us)
- Changemaking and The Changemaking Checklists, by Richard Bevan
- Focus on Sustainability: A Nonprofit’s Journey, by Dennis G. McMillian
- Getting Funded, fifth edition, by Susan Howlett and Renée Bourque
- Writing a Results-Driven Marketing Plan: The Nonprofit’s Guide to Making Every Dollar Count, by Tiffany Meyer
[The author] was so pleased to work with you. I was very impressed with the lovely style sheets you sent and by your thoughtfulness and willingness to see the process through. Thank you! I hope we’ll have the opportunity to work with Tandem again in the future.
After nine years of painstaking research and four complete rewrites of a manuscript whose story kept changing as I unearthed new information, I have received two extremely positive reviews. I am once again truly grateful for your expert guidance!
Sharon E. Sutton, PhD, FAIA
The owner of the report sent me glowing feedback about your editing. Thanks for being such an excellent and thoughtful editor and for doing whatever you can to support us!