Your partners from draft to publication
Tandem Editing LLC helps smart, committed people achieve their communication goals. We work in tandem with you to produce text that is clear, accurate, respectful, and ready to use.
Founded in 2010, Tandem Editing combines the skills and experience of three editors. Together, we offer comprehensive editorial support—project management, skilled editing, subject-matter expertise, and greater availability than any single editor can offer. We’ve got you covered.
Superpower: Untangling meaning
Connie is Tandem Editing’s content editor, skilled at shaping words to teach, convince, and persuade. Connie has a master’s in public administration with a focus on nonprofit management together with an immoderate passion for public policy. She loves working with people who are subject-matter experts first and writers second, and sees editing as a way to help them translate deep and detailed technical knowledge into a story that will teach and inspire. In addition to developmental editing, Connie serves as project manager and proofreader. Connie is currently excited about editing for progressive organizations that provide direct services as well as advocate for policy change at the local, state, or federal level.
Read more about Connie.
Superpower: Listening to writers
Kyra is a line editor, copyeditor, and Tandem Editing’s subject-matter butterfly, with experience that ranges from arts to academia to activism. She especially enjoys working with writers, researchers, and project managers who are setting new goals for themselves—and figuring out how to help. Kyra provides tailored line editing as well as project management, copyediting, and proofreading. She is also an enthusiastic networker, volunteer mentor, and community organizer for the Northwest Independent Editors Guild. Kyra is currently excited about opportunities to help social and environmental justice organizations publish essays, books, and training materials that will help communities listen to each other.
Read more about Kyra.
Superpower: Serving readers
Cindy is a crackerjack copyeditor who enjoys wrangling unruly information and creating order. Cindy is also Tandem Editing’s global health and development specialist, with a master’s degree in international development, focusing on public health, and ten years working in the industry. She is skilled at plain language editing—translating complex concepts into language appropriate for different audiences—and sees editing as a way to better serve readers’ needs. At Tandem she performs copyediting, substantive editing, and proofreading, in addition to serving as a project manager. Cindy is excited about editing for organizations that strengthen health systems and advocate for gender equity.
Read more about Cindy.
Your editors, Connie Chaplan, Kyra Freestar, and Cindy Reeh, each spent more than a decade working for nonprofit organizations large and small before committing to editing as the skill we can best contribute to the cause. We joined forces in 2010 to serve our nonprofit clients better—with first-class editing oriented to fit the needs of your team and your mission. As Tandem Editing, we partner with you to get the job done.
Together we offer:
- 30+ years in communications, editing, and publishing.
- 30+ years of work history in nonprofits, foundations, health research, and global health agencies.
- Experience editing for individuals and organizations of all types and sizes, and for writers with all levels of experience—from first-time authors to seasoned publishing professionals.
- Experience editing a wide variety of materials, with an eye to ease of use through clear language and presentation.
- Skills to communicate clearly, promptly, and effectively throughout the entire editorial process.
- An established editing partnership organized to meet demanding deadlines.
- A thorough understanding of the intricacies of working with multiple authors, complex projects, and time-sensitive production schedules.
- Familiarity with the latest editorial styles and guidelines, including the Chicago Manual of Style, Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, Associated Press Stylebook, American Medical Association Manual of Style, U.S. Government Printing Office Style Manual, Citing Medicine, and individual academic journal and in-house style guides.
- Knowledge through continuing education in respectful and inclusive language, plain language guidelines, and current trends in language and publishing technologies.
Thanks so much, Cindy! You and your team are awesome!
Kyra and Connie, I’m diving into the edits today. I just wanted to express my sincere gratitude for the development of the stylesheet you’ve provided — this is going to be a very valuable tool for the entire team.